Find a number of web resources for Silas Marner that help to give a sense of the wider context of this novel.
I chose this blog topic this week as it is very useful for me because before this class, I didn’t know anything about Silas Marner and George Eliot. Throughout my study path I have only heard of him being mentioned, without never studying his works in depth. So this exercise turned out to be very useful for myself. What I found useful in order to deepen my knowledge about Eliot’s novel, Silas Marner, was exploring a few websites and videos that explain something about the characters and about the setting/context of the story, which I personally consider very important for the understanding of the whole story.
Before listing the most important web sources and going through the material, I would like you to consider these essential questions:
- Do we control our own destinies or do external forces shape our lives?
- What should we value most in life?
- Of all the different relationships in our lives which are the most important to you?
- What makes someone a good parent?
- Are humans essentially good or evil?
The first web source I found useful reading was Cliffnotes: https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/s/silas-marner/book-summary . Cliffnotes is a well known study guide where you can find a general summary of the whole story, a brief explanation of the characters in the novel and the general themes and symbolism that characterise the story of Silas Marner.
The following link https://prezi.com/vawt_ydhti2b/materialism-in-silas-marner/ gives relevant references and detailed information about materialism in the novel, which is according to my opinion the most important aspect. This visual presentation is very enjoyable also thanks to the use of fun drawings and comics.
This blog talks about Marner’s loneliness due to the fact that he is too good for human society. I found this blog extremely interesting because it clearly presents the real human soul of the character.
Here I wrote some topic questions which would be useful to answer after reading all the material I posted:
- Compare Silas Marner’s love of his money to his religious faith.
- What role does social class play in the novel?
- Compare Silas Marner’s love for his money with his religious faith.
- What kind of person is Silas Marner?
- What is the difference between the character of Marner and Godfrey?
Below you’ll find the video of the first part of the novel!
In the end to check your understanding visit this website: http://www.gradesaver.com/silas-marner/study-guide/quiz1\ and challenge yourself with some Quizzes, which are very useful to test your understanding but at the same time I believe they’re also a lot of fun!